The first line spoken by John Wick 4‘s villain, the Marquis de Gramont, is “How you do anything is how you do everything.” The Marquis explains that this is something his father used to say and it is the first and last rule of life by which he now abides.
In my experience, those that are early to meetings, take the initiative to communicate and follow up, are reliable, organized, and take the extra step, tend to do all of those things in their business networking, and in most aspects of their life.
How you do anything is certainly how you do everything. What does it tell you when someone regularly demonstrates any of the following practices?
- Taking the Lead and Setting Up the Zoom Meeting/Invite
- Communicating in Their Time Zone
- Returning Emails, Texts, Phone Messages within 24 Hours
- Getting Easy Tasks Done for Others Right Away – I’ll Handle
- Asking Thoughtful Questions about Them
- Avoiding Multi-Tasking, Staying Focused on Learning and Helping
- Sharing Personal (Not Too Personal) and Relatable Stories
- Doing Your Homework Before the Meeting
- Being a Connector – Who Do They Want to Meet?
- Suggesting a Next Step and Getting It on the Calendar
IN YOUR BUSINESS NETWORKING, WHAT PRACTICES HAVE MADE A KO IMPRESSION ON YOU?